Skip to main content.
 
Undergraduate study, Queen Mary, University of London
Ref No (click to see in context)WFD/13/1
TitleFaculty of Science
LevelSubSeries
Date1921-1985
Extent6 boxes, 1 outsize item
DescriptionThis sub-series contains Faculty minutes, 1966-1984; Standing Committee minutes, 1967-1984; correspondence and papers relating to the development of the Faculty, 1955-1984; correspondence, papers and photographs relating to the Botany Department, 1921-1973; correspondence and papers relating to the Computer Science Department, 1960-1985; papers detailing programmes of study, 1973-1982; and reports and photographs of field trips and science activities, 1969-1982.
Admin HistoryScience at Westfield College was not initially taught to final BSc standard. Although students were attached to Westfield, they were classed as external students and were required to take the advanced part of the course at other colleges. In 1906, Miss Ellen Marion Delf was appointed to teach Botany. This can be seen as the founding of the Botany Department. In 1910, the University of London approved the Laboratory for work up to the final BSc Exam standard in Botany, and from Oct 1915 the University recognised the Botanical Laboratory for Honours work. This meant it was now possible for Westfield students to sit for Honours BSc as internal students. With the retirement of Ellen Delf in 1948, and in accordance with the decision of the University, Westfield College ceased to admit students for a natural science degree. From that point Westfield gradually relinquished the teaching of Botany which was completed by 1950.

However, during the 1950s, the College decided to establish a plan for the reintroduction of science at Westfield and to be acknowledged as a School of the University of London in the faculties of both art and science. Westfield included plans for a science faculty in their quinquennium plans for 1957-1962, in hope of securing the necessary funding to implement its plans. It was initially proposed to establish a Faculty consisting of Physics, Chemistry, Botany, and the already existing Mathematics Department. Following consultation and discussion these plans were revised and an additional department of Zoology was added as was the plan to build a self-contained science building on the site of No.11 Kidderpore Avenue, Shute Hall. In 1960 Westfield College was recognised as a School of the University in the Faculty of Science. The new Science Building was completed in Oct 1961 and formally opened as the Queen's Building by HM Queen Elizabeth II in May 1962.

In 1982 the decision was made to transfer the Science Faculty to Queen Mary College. By 1984 most of the Faculty including Physics, Chemistry, Botany and Biochemistry, and Zoology, and 68 members of staff were transferred to Queen Mary College in Mile End. Furthermore, some Physicists went to Royal Holloway College, and Computer Science moved to Kings College.
ArrangementThis sub-series has been arranged by function and divided into 7 sub-sub series: minutes; standing committee minutes; development of the Science Faculty; Botany Department; Computer Science Department; programmes of study; and field trips and activities.
Access StatusMostly Open
Persons
CodePerson or Corporate Body Name
DS/UK/30Westfield College; 1882-1989; Higher Education Institution